Tuesday

There will...

... be jam!
This year the strawberries are small and easily bruised but are very sweet and very juicy.
Every year I put up at least one batch of jam from strawberries we pick just down the road.
My go-to recipe is from a Donna Hay magazine--- Issue 7.
Enjoy!

Strawberry Vanilla Jam
6 or so cups

3 lbs strawberries cleaned, hulled and halved
2 lbs sugar
3/4 c lime juice-- freshly squeezed
1 vanilla bean halved and scraped (I subsitute 1 tbs of a good quality Mexican vanilla extract when beans are not in my cupboard)

Combine strawberries, sugar, lime juice and vanilla bean and seeds in large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
NOTE:
if using vanilla extract do not add until jam has thickened.
Skim foam as needed.
Let bubble away until jam has thickened--- 25 to 35 minutes.
If using vanilla, stir it in now.

Ladle into jars and process as you would your favourite jam.

5 comments:

MiA said...

*yummie*

Logan said...

I'm really glad you started blogging again! The gallery looks great, as does the book previews. I'm telling you... I think I must plan a trip for Cody and I to Canada!!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I spent Canada Day with family. And was delighted when my sister-in-law proudly showed my her Patches blanket and hat that she had knit for an expectant co-worker. Her birthday is coming up, so your book "FolkStyle" and some Mission Falls wool will be the perfect gift!

Thanks for all your hard work!

The Wooly Wumpus said...

Ontario berries - isn't it great to live in Ontario in the summer! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Facile Cécile said...

Your book in my Holliday bag...
Have a nice day Mag...
;-)!