Saturday

A plain brown envelope...

... arrived at the post office last week and it was for me!

Inside I found a copy of this....

Color Style is the latest collaboration from the dynamic design/editing duo of Pam Allen and Ann Budd. As expected, the selection of designs created by a tasty collection of A-List designers is causing me to dig about my stash. A few that really caught my eye are...

Peace and Love Gloves by Veronik Avery

Honeycomb Turtleneck by Deborah Newton

Faux-Embroidery Yoke Sweater by Robin Melanson

My contribution to the book was the Fun Flower Mittens...


Lately, small projects have been making me the happiest and I know I am not alone. With small knittings more focus can be paid to new techniques and/or special finishing without being overwhelmed and giving up. I would suggest this as a good first Intarsia project for an otherwise semi-experienced knitter. There is just enough colour changing going on that it will be a challenge. However, the small scale makes it very manageable.


The beads are easily applied after all the knittin' and stichin' have been completed. I like the way they create interest and "shine" to the otherwise flat, lusterless wool. A little bit of bead yin to yarn yang...

I'll repeat here what I shared on Ravelry about this project...
I have always loved Intarsia knitting! I know many will look at this as a daunting project, but I say pshaw! A main key to enjoying Intarsia is to do away with those stupid plastic thingies that are sold for the process— I personally think that they were developed in vengeance by a man who felt he was second to his wife’s knitting! For larger areas of colour, simply make yarn butterflies— doesn't that sound lovely?
Here is a web site that does a great job explaining…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that smaller projects seem to be all the rage right now. Your beautiful mittens with the intarsia and the beads are definitely going to be added to my project list. Thanks for all of your inspired ideas that blend our passion for an old craft with a look for today.